Sunday 19 August 2012

33: La Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf


Another great record on the Cluster/Neu/Harmonia axis of krautrock. La Dusseldorf was Klaus Dinger of Neu! and some other boneheads (Thomas Dinger and Hans Lampe). I like Neu! a great deal but they can come across a little dry sometimes, ditto for Cluster and you know what - sometimes it's nice to talk things seriously but sometimes you just want to have fun. This is that but with a kraut bent. It's fantastic, uplifting and invigorating music that has (eeek) a sense of humor but isn't stupid. I listened to this walking back from the 24th street Mission BART stop to my place on the Mission. The sun was shining, I was in a ridiculously good mood having spent the better part of the day trading Simpsons quotes back and forth. The optimism washed over me and I cried for at least the better part of one block.

The opener, Dusseldorf, is bonkers - Dinger plays right from the book of Neu! but someone (one of the Dingers) keeps saying "Dusseldorf" over and over in a fairly stupid voice. Following that it's right into "La Dusseldorf" which is pretty much the same thing but with the stupid voice turned up to 11. Silver Cloud is then the most optimistic Kraut song, all plinky synths and low tempo chugging riffs. Then a lower tempo song which is classic slow Neu! with someone wittering on. Presumably about time.

So, I don't want to call this since I haven't revisited Neu! in some time, but this could out-Neu! Neu!. It's like the best part of Neu! - the drums and relentless riffing with the addition of stupid vocals and german male wailing. It's pretty incredible and I will be putting in my order once I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment