Sunday 9 September 2012

35: Moebius and Plank - Rastakraut Pasta


So Labour Day (or Labor Day) caught me out. Labour Day is like bank holiday monday but for the US, and seemingly has some link with May Day but the specifics escape me. I spent my Labour Day Day on a foggy beach watching crabs, eating burgers and drinking beer. So pretty much a typical bank holiday affair.

The week prior had been spent in the company of the oldball entry in the list. Except that, now that I've heard it, I don't think it's particularly oddball any more. The Moebius is Dieter from Cluster and the Plank is Conny from everywhere. It's all a bit worthy but has moments of excellence. This was a funny one as it seemed like a crappy record from the cover and I seem to recall that all the purists hated it's inclusion, though I don't really know why.

It has the fun elements of Harmonia and Cluster but with a bit of an arch overtone. The first track is all grates and cluster drums. The title track veers slightly towards reggae but is quite listenable - it's weird how takes on reggae often turn out all right. There's a bit of a noise break and then the best song on the record Missi Cacadou. Over reggae-ish drums and guitars Plank (presumably) puts down tons of electronic squiggles and bleeps and some bonkers processed vocals. I have doubly no idea what whoever it is is going on about but it's a fun journey nonetheless. The album then rounds off with some noodling.

So, overall, this is pretty good - not amazing, or as good as the cluster axis and not as fun as the La Dusseldorf things but better than the cosmic jokers at their worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment