Sunday 9 December 2012

49: Walter Wegmuller - Tarot


Tarot is the record on the list that I had been looking forward to the most - I can recall at least three occasions where I have had the CD version in my grasp only to get cold feet and pull out. I have similar memories of having the vinyl version of the Book of Om (Wah Wah one) in my shopping cart and then deciding that it's just too much of a punt. At the onset of this project, I was visiting a wiser friend, discussing Tarot and within minutes he had a copy of the said same CD in my hands and never had I wanted something more. But good things come to those who wait and this is a good thing. A very good thing. In my optimistic state of mind I think this might oust Zeit as my favourite record on the list - it's both utterly bonkers and utterly magical. Also it has that utterly quintessential krautrock sound of people acting without pretension and going the distance.

So Tarot. Double vinyl, came in a box with a set of Tarot cards, one for each track. Walter Wegmuller's only album, he looks a little bit like Rasputin on the original cover - there's three versions according to Discogs - the original boxed one, an Italian one (above) and a cheapo looking French pressing. The box is expensive, the other ones slightly less so but still pretty much out of reach. There's an old Spalax reissue in a box which comes with a repro of the tarot cards.

The first track introduces the band and lays bare the critical conundrum: What did WW actually do on this record? I love introducing the band tracks and this is a winner - presumably this is WW speaking, in the great Germanic/English mix: "We want you to come with us on the voyage through the time: Tarot". As is traditional each introduction is followed by a short riff - Keyboards yep, Guitar 1 yep, Guitar 2 yep, Drums yep, Bass yep. Then person one who seemingly does nothing: Walter Westrupp? Followed by mumbling. Then Klaus Schulze does his woopy synth noises. Then Walter Wegmuller introduces himself with a cough? Then some swirly vocals with tons of echo.

Anyway the music is great - mixing some fairly up tempo Cosmic Jokers style sounds with Walter's occasional intonations all in German. Some are Zeit-like ambient drones, some are funky, all the tracks are incredible. Der Herrscher we've heard before on one of the Cosmic Jokers 'albums'  and it sounds fantastic in the proper context. And is followed by a beautiful recorder piece, which would not be amiss on any acid folk album. Then they're off veering from out there electronic drones and noises to more standard rock and psych type sounds. The incredible thing about it is that as a double album it a) doesn't feel too long and b) stays fairly coherent - there's a nice flow to the whole thing and it hangs together as a whole. Which, considering the CJ involvement is pretty incredible.

So Tarot. It's everything I wished it would be, and so much more - a real eye opener for me. I now must track one down. One more record to go and I'm almost sad that this isn't number 50 as it would have been a perfect ending to the project. Hopefully Witthuser and Westrupp can match the incredibleness of this, but I doubt it.

Tarot might just be one of the most eye opening records I've ever heard.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, thanks for the reminder. I just listened to the entire 1,5 hour of it, and enjoyed it immensely. Very psychedelic, varied stuff.

    Great blog by the way. It takes a lot discipline to write about such demanding albums each week. :-)

    ReplyDelete