Wednesday 27 March 2013

39: Jehst - Falling Down


I'm marathoning Mad Men at the moment, trying to catch up before we start to watch the new season and so my commute process has switched from listening to podcasts to watching TV. Thus I haven't given Jehst as much time as I perhaps should have but I think I've got the measure of it.

So I like it, but I seem to remember this being something of a big deal, and I don't think it's that. But it is good. So some records I like the rapping, and some I like because of the production. This one I love solely because of the production, I'm not in love with his rapping - a bit too on the abstract side for me but the production is fantastic. All thick bass and fender rhodes and good quality scratching. I don't get much else from this to be honest - the rapping's not terrible and, to be fair, it does play off the production pretty well.

Monotony is the stand out for me - I think it's cutting up the windy noises at the start of In Den Garten Pharaos, and is stunning. I love that smarts, where you take something out of place and make a rap record out of it. China Shop Taurus is the big track on here, and is indicative of the record as a whole - and again the production is super sharp. A good record overall with some great moments.

Anyway - here's the terrible video for Monotony:


No comments:

Post a Comment