Tuesday 23 October 2012

41: Popol Vuh - Einsjager und Siebensjager


Falling behind again. This was always a bit of a weird one in the Popol Vuh canon and I never quite got it when I first bought it and I still find it perplexing. Cope put it in the wrong order which might explain it a little but it does feel like it's leading towards Hosianna Mantra rather than coming from it.

The artwork is horrific but it's an official Cosmic Courier release now. The first side is a bunch of shortish tracks with guitar and piano. It's a bit too un-cosmic for my liking and veers into plod rock on occasions which is never a good thing. Too hit and miss. The second side is a standard 20 minute track but again with too much rock influences. I'm aware that they could no longer plow the 20 minute psychouts they did previously but this feels like a completely different group.

It does make me wonder just how he picked out these records - surely the missing Amon Duul record is better than this? There's not much krautrock in this record, and it's not off the wall like Rastakrautpasta but it's just a little bit boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment