Tuesday 23 October 2012

42: Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

The preceding record makes this one all the more perplexing. I don't think I got this one fully when I bought it - I was more into Pharoas when I was younger but now I'm starting to think that this is the real gem in the set of Popol Vuh records. There's not real point in describing each track since they all go into one anyway.

It's basically completly spiritual, totally outside of any of the other records in the book. There's no motorik, and it borders on trad classical music at times. Mostly piano and guitar, with the occasional oboe and Djong Yun's stunning vocals drifting all over the top of it. Cope describes it as sounding like it was recorded in a retreat which I totally agree with. It sounds like the lake from Pharoas.

I didn't buy Affenstunde when I was picking up the first round of krautrock, and know I'm torn between that and this as being my favourite Popol Vuh's. They don't sound like krautrock and at times they don't sound like music. It's a stunning record.

No comments:

Post a Comment