Tuesday 12 February 2013

45: Braintax - Panorama


So this record upsets the Cookie Crew's long standing run as best so far. I sort of knew this would be good - Braintax had a track on the Word Life compilation which I remember being good, and I almost got Biro Funk at the time but it never seemed that essential.

This is just a fantastic record - All I Need opens and its one of those genuinely uplifting rap songs. The beats are tight and there's a cracking drum sound keeping things moving along. Can We Skit pretty much sets the scene for the rest of the record - Braintax is not a happy man: "I don't care for illegal wars, but then again I don't care for those legal wars". The more political tracks on the record are well balanced and full of bile without being preachy. Braintax has a fantastic way with words, dancing round your head and putting grins on your face. The production is really strong, not typical hip hop beats but minimal, and the drums are great.

Anti Grey, nicks the hook from fade to gray and has one of my favourite lines: "All they know about the culture is beer and tapas, all they know about they about the culture is flamenco maracas and that spanish girls go like the clappers, that's what british is, I want no part of this game"

Last Tenner is the standout track for me - opening with "Fuck it, let's go and get drunk" and that snare's back. And then the line in The Grip Again: "I made it to the city, the false Id, my english is good, I'm BBC".

I think Biro Funk is higher up the list somewhere and I can't wait for it to crop up - this is a seriously good record, I'm going to track down a vinyl copy. Here's a video for Anti Grey:


No comments:

Post a Comment