Friday 31 May 2013

31: Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand


So the second entry by Roots in the list, but his first album. This was a pretty big deal at the time, but typically I was too lazy to get into it.

I've kept listening to him, the other record falling into my regular rotation so I've warmed to him a little. However, I just can't commit to it - there's something about his voice which doesn't match up for me.

Having said that I preferred this record to the other one, there's less fluff on this one and there's much less annoying electronic wibbles which I found distracting. Ultimately though, there's nothing on here which I found memorable - it's accomplished but I found it quite cold. This most likely reflects my taste - I like my hip hop to be super backpack or incredibly stupid. This is serious both muscially and lyrically so it doesn't quite match.

Here's a live version of my favourite track on "BBC Choice" which looks like it was presented by the work experience kid this week. He's way too laid back on this:


No comments:

Post a Comment