Friday 31 May 2013

33: Parlour Talk - Padlocked Tonic


Have I said how it's utterly bonkers that I can only buy this record because I have a UK credit card? For all the little music services that are available to us now, none seem to solving the problem of just having a sensible rights system for digital music. Hence the lengthy delay on this one.

But it's a weird one - a Hip Hop record on Acid Jazz? I was a bit young for Acid Jazz and I don't really know much about the label but the name puts me off a little. So I was worried about this. Parlour Talk is Mister Deed and Sir Beanz OBE. The latter showed up in the second birth of UK Hip Hop, appearing on some Big Daddy CDs.

So it was a welcome blindsiding on this one - this record is non-stop fantastic. Sir Beanz has a thick Bristolian accent and can really rap. The scratching is great and the production is spot on - all light and bouncy whilst still keeping the beat up. It's a bit like Souls Of Mischief but more fun and more playful.

My favourite track was Gutted: A keyboard riff leading into drums and cowbell. Then "When you're feeling well hung or your gutted" and then guitar over the drums as the rapping bounces over the beat. It's really accomplished stuff. And then some Guru samples - truly the mark of confidence. Able Semen samples the Vulture classic Klaus Wunderlich and C'Mon Down takes its cues from a hammond heavy spinning wheel cover. It's a great great record, full of fun. Acid Jazz be damned!

No vids for Parlour Talk but here's Able Semen:


No comments:

Post a Comment